- 50 g/2 oz. /4 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 125 g/4 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 75 g/3 oz. radicchio, outer leaves discarded, then sliced
- 125 ml/4 fl oz. / ½ cup dry white wine
- 50 ml/2 fl oz. / ¼ cup double/heavy cream or creme fraiche
- 2-3 tbsps. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus fresh
- Parmesan shavings
- 225 g/8 oz. fresh tagliatelle or use bought pasta
- 25 g/1 oz. rocket/arugula, lightly chopped if leaves are large, rinsed
Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and pancetta and fry gently for 3-5 minutes until the onion is beginning to soften. Add the radicchio and continue to fry for 3 minutes.
Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and let it bubble for 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and slowly pour in the cream or creme fraiche. Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until a/ dente: 3-4 minutes for fresh and 8-10 minutes for dried. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
Return the cooked pasta to the saucepan, add the sauce and the cooking water, stir, and then gently stir in the rocket/arugula. Serve immediately with fresh Parmesan shavings.