This apple crunch a la mode is a rich, moist, and very delicious dessert! It is a beautiful and autumn treat that is easy and simple to prepare. You will need around an hour to make this wonderful dessert. A great Thanksgiving idea for your family and friends. Plus, the kids love it! Here is the recipe:
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum (optional)
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat an oven to 350°F/180°C /Gas Mark 4. Grease a 9 by 13-in. baking pan and scatter the sliced apples in it.
- In a small saucepan, combine together the cold water, white sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Place over medium heat and cook until all sugar had dissolved and you get a clear syrup, around 5 minutes. Remove and stir in the rum (if using). Pour hot syrup over the sliced apples in the pan.
- In a bowl, combine together the brown sugar, flour, oats, melted butter, cinnamon, and walnuts well crumbly. Sprinkle the crumble over the mixture in the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake until the top is brown and the crunch is bubbly around 55-60 minutes. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream ball (if desired).