- 8 small squid, about 350 g/12 oz.
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 50 g/2 oz./ ½ cup diced pancetta
- 1 onion. peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves. peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 50 g/2 oz./ ½ cup drained and chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 75 g/3 oz./ ¾ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- juice of ½ lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- pinch dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large red pepper, skinned and chopped
- assorted salad leaves. to serve
Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8. 15 minutes before cooking. Clean the squid if necessary. rinse lightly. pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper and finely chop the tentacles.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large. nonstick frying pan and fry the pancetta for 5 minutes. or until crisp. Remove the pancetta and reserve. Add the tentacles. onion. 2 garlic cloves. thyme and sun-dried tomatoes to the oil remaining in the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. or until softened.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the diced pancetta. Blend in a food processor if a smoother stuffing is preferred. then stir in the breadcrumbs. basil and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reserve. Spoon the stuffing into the cavity of the squid and secure the tops with cocktail sticks/toothpicks.
Place the squid in a large roasting tin and sprinkle over 2 tablespoons each of oil and water. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and cook the remaining garlic for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes. chili flakes and oregano
and simmer gently for 15 minutes before stirring in the red pepper. Cook gently for a further 5 minutes. Blend in a food processor to make a smooth sauce and season to taste. Pour the sauce over the squid and serve immediately with some assorted salad leaves.