You can top your favorite cake or cupcakes with this sweet, creamy, and smooth strawberry buttercream frosting. It will offer a rich and creamy flavor to every dessert. Here is the recipe:
Servings 16-18 cupcakes
- 1 heaping cup strawberries (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- A few drops of red food color (optional)
- Place lemon juice and strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the puree in a small saucepan. Next, place over medium heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring quite often. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until you have around ⅓ cup of the puree mixture. Then, remove from heat.
- In case you don’t like seeds in your buttercream, strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer at this point. (Usually, I don’t strain mine – I like the seed zest, it gives more natural taste.) Allow cooling to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, add strawberry puree and butter. Whip together with a mixer until smooth.
- Next, add in the powdered sugar and a few drops of red food color (if you like more intense strawberry-color of the frosting) , and whip on medium-high until creamy and smooth.
- Put the cream (or milk) and vanilla extract and whip again to combine. Now, test your buttercream. If it’s still too thick, continue adding cream or milk, one tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- As soon as your cake/cupcakes/ or other baked dessert is completely cooled – you can frost with the strawberry buttercream frosting. Simply spread or pipe it on.