This simple chocolate mousse cake is so moist, creamy, and chocolatey! It is one of the easiest and tastiest simple desserts that I have ever tried! You will need around 40 minutes to prepare it plus 30 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
For the chocolate mousse:
- 8 oz. semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Leave aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together vegetable oil and buttermilk. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour hot water and vanilla.
- Beat until just incorporated. Spread batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake around 30 to 40 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove and cool to room temperature. In the meantime, prepare the chocolate mousse.
To make the chocolate mousse:
- In a large, heavy saucepan, add chocolate, mini marshmallows, and milk, cover and place over low heat. Stir constantly until melted and well-incorporated. Remove and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together heavy cream and vanilla to soft peak stage. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture and combine. Then, spread over cooled cake.
- Refrigerate and chill for at least 30 minutes, or just until ready to serve. Before serving, sprinkle some chocolate shavings. Slice and serve.