Now your kitchen can smell just like in the Hummingbird bakery! Simply prepare these amazing Hummingbird Bakery chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and enjoy the taste of one of the best cupcakes in the USA and other countries in the world. The Hummingbird Bakery is the household of unique American cupcakes that everybody loves. Following, you can find the version of the best America cupcakes and try them at your home.
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- a scant 3/4 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 2 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½-2 tablespoon whole milk
To make the chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Apply paper muffin cases into 12-regular sized muffin baking pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and butter. Using an electric mixer, beat on low until you everything is well combined and you get a sandy consistency.
- In another bowl, mix the milk, vanilla, and egg together; gradually pour about 1/2 into the flour mixture. Whisk to combine on high speed in order to get rid of any lumps.
- Then, turn the mixer down to low and gradually pour in the remaining milk mixture; beat for about 5 minutes or until the batter is smooth (make sure do not overmix!).
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases, fulfilling 2/3 of each, and bake in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes, or until the muffins bounce back when touched. A tester inserted in the middle should come out clean when the muffins are done.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the chocolate cupcakes are cold, you can spoon the frosting on top.
To make the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and cocoa together on medium-low until the mixture is well combined.
- Then, turn the mixer down to low and apply the milk to the mixture a few teaspoons at a time.
- When all the milk is incorporated, turn on high and continue beating until the frosting is fluffy and light; this should take at least 6-7 minutes. Frost the cupcakes carefully cutting the top of the frosting with a knife (just like the great bakers in the Hummingbird bakery do). Serve.