This grandma’s butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream is so moist, simple, and delicious dessert experience. A classic grandma recipe that never goes out of fashion! Easy to make, this yellow butter cake includes a few simple ingredients that will lead you to an amazing cake flavor. It will take you around 30 minutes to prepare it plus 1 hour to bake Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
For the chocolate frosting:
- 1 ¼ cups butter, softened
- 2 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Using shortening, grease bottom and sides of two (8-in.) round cake pans; lightly flour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat the granulated sugar together with 3/4 cup butter, scraping bowl occasionally, about 2 minutes or just until fluffy.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time, beating just until smooth. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Now, reduce the speed to low and beat flour mixture into sugar batter alternately with 3/4 cup milk, mixing after each addition, just until smooth. Fold in sour cream and beat to incorporate.
- Pour evenly into pans, then tap them 2 times to eliminate air bubbles from the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake 30- 35 minutes or just until tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely, around 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl add all frosting ingredients and beat with electric mixer on medium until smooth and spreadable.
- Arrange 1st cake layer on a plate, spread around 1 cup frosting over top. Then, arrange 1st cake layer on top of 1st. To finish, frost side and top of dessert with remaining frosting.
- Keep loosely covered at room temperature. Slice and serve.