This is a typical Italian pastry cream that is really delicious and easy to prepare. You will need only 10 minutes to prepare it and 10 minutes to cook – total time: 20 minutes. You can fill your favorite croissants, doughnuts, Italian cream horns and other desserts of your choice. Here are recipes for 2 general Italian pastry cream versions:
Italian Pastry Cream with Milk and Cream:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream/whole cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
To make the Italian Pastry Cream with Milk and Cream:
- In a medium pot, add the cream and milk, over low heat (don’t boil). Remove from heat and leave aside to cool to warm.
- In a medium pot, add sugar and yolks, beat together until incorporated, then add vanilla and flour, place pot over low heat, put warm milk/cream, beating constantly until thickened.
- Apply to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge at least 3 hours before using.
- This pastry cream will keep up to 5 days refrigerated.